Often we hear about how healthy legumes are, especially in winter, a period when low temperatures make our bodies need more calorific foods that provide an extra boost of energy and nutrients. During these periods, there is nothing more comforting than a plate of lentils, but due to lack of time or simply ideas, we dismiss this legume that provides high biological value proteins or fiber. The reality is that creating a simple, tasty, and healthy dish using lentils will not take you more than 20 minutes.
Today, we are preparing an easy lentil recipe with vegetables, using intense flavors such as cumin or turmeric. Gluten-free, meat-free, and low in saturated fats, making it suitable for calorie-controlled, celiac, or vegetarian diets.
To prepare this lentil recipe with vegetables, you will need cumin, turmeric, cilantro, celery, carrot, onion, and garlic. If you have an electric or pressure cooker, you’ll take half the time to cook them. If not, I recommend using pre-boiled lentils, preferably small brown ones, as they are smaller and have a smoother texture.
To prepare them, we have used celery, cilantro, carrot, onion, turmeric, and cumin. As you can see, these are ingredients with very intense flavors that will make the lentils lose their characteristic gritty taste and adopt a delicious flavor
Lentejas con verduras
- 2 carrot
- 1/2 bunch of celery
- 1 onion
- 500 gr Pardina lentils (equivalent to two cans of cooked lentils).
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric
- 4 small cilantro sprigs
- Olive oil
- Chop the onion into julienne strips and sauté until it is lightly golden. Add it to the pot along with the celery, carrot, and cilantro, which we have cleaned and chopped beforehand.
- In a pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and include the cumin. Allow it to infuse for 10 seconds to release the flavor, then pour everything (oil and cumin) into the pot along with the remaining ingredients.
- Incorporate the two tablespoons of turmeric and the lentils into the pot, allowing them to cook.
- Add 1 liter of water.
It is recommended to serve the lentils with rice, as the combination of legumes with grains allows for the creation of a high biological value protein, which is equivalent to animal protein.